The Food Bank Coalition of San Luis Obispo County is a nonprofit, tax exempt organization. We serve our neighbors who are food insecure, often not knowing where their next meal will come from, as well as those at risk of hunger. Each year we supply food to 44,000 different people in San Luis Obispo County through a network of 120 charitable feeding programs – including food pantries, homeless shelters and afterschool programs. We believe every human being has the right to nutritious food, which is why 50% of the food we distribute is fresh produce. The Food Bank prioritizes employee fulfillment and retention, offering competitive pay and benefits and opportunities for promotion.
The Warehouse Worker/Driver (WWD) provides physical labor throughout the warehouse, as well as when deployed in the field and serves as a primary point of contact with volunteers, clients and Partner Nonprofit agencies. The WWD compiles and fulfills orders for various Food Bank programs and assists the Warehouse Manager (WM) and Warehouse Assistant Manager (WAM) with food donation collection from grocery stores, farms, and community food drives, order deliveries and other tasks, as assigned.
· Provide physical labor in the warehouse
· Work with volunteers to sort food donations and compile orders
· Engage in courteous and professional interactions with Partner Nonprofits, clients and vendors
· Drive box trucks or other vehicles for pick-up and delivery of product and orders, as needed
· Receive, load, break down and move pallets/totes/supplies; operate forklift and pallet jack(s), as needed.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
· Examine and inspect items for damage or defects and notify Warehouse Management accordingly
· Actively look for and guard against workplace safety concerns
· Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, Talents, & Abilities:
· Speaking and Communication – Talking and writing to others to convey information effectively.
· Coordination – adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions. Organizing, planning, and prioritizing work in order to accomplish specified goals and objectives.
· Ability to follow directions and problem solve.
· Extent Flexibility -- Ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with body, arms, and/or legs.
Education and/or Experience:
· 18 years of age or older.
· High school diploma or equivalent.
· Must possess a valid California Driver’s License.
· Must have a reliable vehicle, clean driving record, and proof of insurance
· Must be willing to travel throughout San Luis Obispo County
· Forklift and powered jack experience not required, but preferred
· Experience operating box trucks or similar vehicles preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The ability to stand for extended periods of time; the ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer); to lift, carry, and load up to 50 pounds. Must be able to bend, stoop, climb, and crouch repeatedly throughout the day.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Variable work environment; work is conducted both indoors and outdoors with varying environmental conditions; indoor facilities kept at cold temperature, so warm clothing is required. Noise level varies from quiet office environment to very noisy warehouse. Exhaust and dust will be present in the warehouse.
The Food Bank Coalition of San Luis Obispo County is an at-will, equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, creed, national origin, genetic information, disability, sex, marital status, age, or any other protected status covered by federal or state law. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change.