The Food Bank Coalition is the only countywide source of nutritious food for people in need, providing services that span from San Miguel to Nipomo. Working hand in hand with volunteers, donors, corporate sponsors, and non-profit agency partners, it is our goal to see that no one in San Luis Obispo County goes hungry.
As a part of Feeding America, the largest non-governmental domestic hunger relief organization in the nation, we work with over 115 non-profit agencies throughout the county that distribute food to people in need as a part of their scope of services. These agencies include but are not limited to after school programs, church pantries, and senior centers. The Food Bank and our agency partners follow the guidelines established by Feeding America and are subject to regular compliance monitoring.
How to Source Food
How to place a food order
- Call (805) 238-4664 to schedule a pick up appointment
- Two business days prior to appointment, request a food menu (this reflects current inventory broken down into itemized categories).
- Agency must then submit their food order request by emailing a completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org within 24 hours to ensure inventory still matches food list.
- Food Bank will then build your requested order in time to pick up during your agency's schedule pick-up appointment.
How to receive a food order
- One hour shopping appointments will shift to 30 minute appointments to pick-up pre-ordered food directly at our new warehouse (1180 Kendall Road, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401)
- Process will now be: authorized shopper signs in at Agency Clerk desk, verifies that built order matches requested order, sign invoice, keep copy of invoice for own records, sign-out, and load product into own vehicle.
- Co-op orders are available to all agency partners that request a menu
- Orders that exceed $500 are eligible for direct delivery
- Delivery orders require a 72 hour minimum
- To request a food menu please email email@example.com or by calling (805) 238-4664.
- A remote location where agency partners are able to pick up fresh produce, dairy items, and bread
- The menu is sent out every Thursday and must be completed by 3:00pm on Friday
- The mobile markets are held Mondays from 9:00am to 10:00am at two locations:
- North County site: Grace Baptist Church, 535 Creston Road, Paso Robles, CA 93446
- South County site: New Life Community Church, 990 James Way, Pismo Beach, CA 93449
- Food ordering emails:
Please contact Suzie Freeman if you have any questions at (805) 835-9924 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Agency Partner Eligibility
- Must serve low-income families and individuals, the elderly, and/or infants
- Have a tax-exempt status under section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or be a church
- Operate a program that incorporates food assistance as a part of its normal scope of services
- Maintain regularly scheduled hours
- Distribute food within San Luis Obispo County
- While government agencies are not eligible, they may still run Food Bank-Affiliated Program
By joining the Food Bank Coalition's network of non-profit agency partners, your food program and ultimately your recipients will benefit by having access to the following:
- Ability to source food at a low cost
- Joint fundraising opportunities to earn food credit at our warehouse
- Ongoing support and resources through agency partner newsletter
- Bi-monthly regional informational meetings to share best practices
- Use of conference room for organization-associated meetings
- Nutrition education and cooking classes at your location
- Social media and marketing consulting
- Quarterly Report
For auditing purposes, we need to track all food that goes through our doors. Agency Partners must therefore submit a report at the end of every quarter reflecting the number of households served, the total number of individuals served, and the ages of those individuals. For this reason, it is important your agency has a system in place to track this information. Quarterly reports are due no later than January 15th, April 15th, July 15th, and October 15th.
- ServSafe Online Training
Agency Partners are required to have at least one staff member or volunteer leader who has completed the ServeSafe food handler training. This training is available online, takes about 3 hours to complete, costs $15, and is valid for 3 years.
- Site Visits
An authorized Food Bank staff will conduct a site visit once a year to monitor safety and procedural changes. This opportunity allows us to find out what good things your agency is doing and ways that we can better partner together.
Please follow the steps outlined below to start the process of becoming an Agency Partner
- Submit a completed and signed copy of our Application for Partnership
- Submit letter from IRS confirmng your agency is classified as a 501(c)(3) non-profit
- Take the ServSafe food handler online training, then print and submit certificate of completion
- Schedule an initial site visit with Suzie Freeman
All initial and ongoing paperwork should be submitted through one of the following methods:
Becoming a SLO Food Bank Partner Forms
- How to Become a SLO Food Bank Partner
- Application for Partnership
- Partner Policy and Procedure Handbook
- ServSafe Food Handler Online Training
- Submit the following completed documents:
- Schedule Pre-Operational Site Visit
Join our agency partner newsletter to get ongoing resources and announcements about joint fundraising events!
Retail Agency Infrastructure Grant
Feeding America and the Walmart are partnering with the Food Bank Coalition in an efforts to expand agency capacity and ensure that every resident in SLO County has enough food to eat.