Cash to Buy Food - CalFresh
Do you have difficulty affording nutritious food? You may be eligible for CalFresh benefits.
CalFresh benefits (Food Stamps) are available through California’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. It helps individuals and families purchase healthy food by providing them with an EBT card and monthly stipend, which can be used in grocery stores and at some farmers markets.
Starting June 1, 2019: SSI recipients may be eligible for CalFresh benefits.
CalFresh recipients can now use their EBT card to purchase groceries online.
You may qualify if:
- Someone in your household is a legal resident or U.S. citizen.
- Your income before taxes falls within the guidelines below:
October 1, 2020 – September 30, 2021
2 People $2,874
3 People $3,620
4 People $4,368
5 People $5,114
6 People $5,860
7 People $6,608
8 People $7,354
Each additional member: + $748
What Are The Benefits?
January 1, 2021 – June 30, 2021
Size CalFresh Allotment
2 People $430
3 People $616
4 People $782
5 People $929
6 People $1,114
7 People $1,232
8 People $1,408
Each additional member: + $176
Where Can I Use An EBT Card?
An EBT card works like a debit card. It can be used to purchase food at:
- Grocery stores
- Online at Amazon
- Participating local farmers markets
At farmers markets that offer the Market Match Program, you can double your CalFresh dollars while purchasing fresh fruits and vegetables. Download this flyer for more information about participating farmers markets in SLO County.
What Can I Buy?
You can use CalFresh benefits to buy food for your household, including:
- Breads and cereals
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meats, fish, and poultry
- Dairy products
- Seeds and plants that produce food
How Do I Apply?
- The online application process takes 10 minutes.
- You will be asked to provide your contact information.
- Be prepared to answer general questions about your job, your income, and the people in your household.
- Once you submit your application, you will be contacted within two weeks.
- If eligible, you could have an EBT card within a month.
What If I Need Help Applying?
Find locations near you.
College students can receive application assistance from the CalFresh Outreach Team at Cal Poly. Their passionate team of students will walk you through the CalFresh application, help you organize materials for applying, and sends you reminders of next steps! Visit calfreshcalpoly.org