Good Nutrition Starts with Education
The SLO Food Bank empowers people to make healthy choices in their everyday lives through outreach and education. This program aims to:
- Improve community members’ contextual skills in the kitchen, therefore increasing the likelihood of preparing more meals in the home using fresh produce and nutritious ingredients.
- Empower community members to engage in healthier behaviors, leading to more overall positive health outcomes in order to improve their physical, social and emotional well-being.
What We Do
In response to the pandemic, the SLO Food Bank will be hosting a series of free, bi-weekly, virtual nutrition lessons and healthy recipe demos. Everyone is welcome! In addition to that, we will be providing various types of nutrition education handouts and recipes that utilize the ingredients we give to our participants at our Neighborhood Food Distributions.
Virtual Nutrition and Culinary Education
Beginning November 4, 2020, our Nutrition Education team will begin conducting a series of virtual nutrition lessons and healthy recipe demos – entitled Stay Nourished – on the first and third Wednesdays of the month from 4:00-5:15pm. Save the Dates! Everyone is welcome.
Email our Nutrition and Children’s Programs Manager Tara Davis for more information!
Distribution Ingredient Recipes
Our Nutrition Education team strives to provide our participants with recipes that are healthy, affordable, delicious, easy-to-prepare, and that incorporate the ingredients we give out at our Neighborhood Food Distributions when possible.
Do you need some inspiration on utilizing the food items you received at an October Neighborhood Food Distribution? Check out these recipes:
Do you need some additional inspiration in the kitchen? Check out these yummy and nutritious recipes:
- Black Bean and Vegetable Quesadilla
- Bok Choy Noodle Bowl
- Eggplant Pasta
- Southwest Baked Potatoes
- Yucatan Chicken Tacos
Soups and Salads
- Hungarian Kohlrabi Soup and Kohlrabi Gratin
- Napa Cabbage Salad
- Southwest Salad
- Vegetable Salad with Tangy Avocado Dressing
Sweets, Snacks and Sides
- Baked Carrot Fries with Cumin
- Carrot Apple Pie
- Cheesy Cauliflower Mac
- Dutch Apple Yogurt Dessert
- Fresh and Fruity Slaw
- Frozen Banana Coins
- Frozen Bananas
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Honey Milk Balls
- Kale Chips
- Pineapple Snack Cakes
- Stuffed Summer Squash
- Sugarless Oatmeal Cookies
- Tropical Fruit and Nut Mix
Sometimes, we all need a bit of inspiration and guidance in the kitchen. Whether you need some new ideas for using an everyday staple of yours, or some ideas for introducing brand new ingredients to your cooking routine, the SLO Food Bank is here to help!