Good Nutrition Starts with Education
The SLO Food Bank empowers people to make healthy choices in their everyday lives through outreach and education. This program aims to:
- Improve community members’ contextual skills in the kitchen, therefore increasing the likelihood of preparing more meals in the home using fresh produce and nutritious ingredients.
- Empower community members to engage in healthier behaviors, leading to more overall positive health outcomes in order to improve their physical, social and emotional well-being.
What We Do
In response to the pandemic, the SLO Food Bank will be placing a heavy focus on virtual and indirect nutrition education. We will be hosting online nutrition and culinary classes as well as disseminating informational material in the form of flyers, healthy recipes, and children’s activities through all programs.
This webpage is an additional effort in our movement towards being a sustainable and reliable resource for community members and service providers across SLO County. It was developed in November 2020 and will continue to be updated on an ongoing basis for years to come.
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
Consuming a variety of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis will provide you with an array of nutrients essential for your overall health. See below for produce info and recipes!
THIS SECTION UNDER CONSTRUCTION!
Do you need some additional inspiration in the kitchen? Check out these yummy and nutritious recipes:
- Black Bean and Vegetable Quesadilla
- Bok Choy Noodle Bowl
- Eggplant Pasta
- Southwest Baked Potatoes
- Yucatan Chicken Tacos
Soups and Salads
- Corn and Salmon Chowder
- Hungarian Kohlrabi Soup and Kohlrabi Gratin
- Napa Cabbage Salad
- Southwest Salad
- Vegetable Salad with Tangy Avocado Dressing
Sweets, Snacks and Sides
- Baked Carrot Fries with Cumin
- Carrot Apple Pie
- Cheesy Cauliflower Mac
- Dutch Apple Yogurt Dessert
- Fresh and Fruity Slaw
- Frozen Banana Coins
- Frozen Bananas
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Honey Milk Balls
- Kale Chips
- Mexican Rice with Kidney Beans
- Pineapple Snack Cakes
- Stuffed Summer Squash
- Sugarless Oatmeal Cookies
- Tropical Fruit and Nut Mix
Sometimes, we all need a bit of inspiration and guidance in the kitchen. Whether you need some new ideas for using an everyday staple of yours, or some ideas for introducing brand new ingredients to your cooking routine, the SLO Food Bank is here to help!