Hunger-Relief Network Toolbox
A curated list of community resources, forms, and documents for San Luis Obispo County’s hunger-relief network. To download and save a document you find here, please left-click the hyperlinked text to open the document in your browser and click the download button (usually a downward-facing arrow) in the top-right corner.
Scroll down or click a link below to jump to your area of interest.
- SLO Food Bank Program Forms & Information
- Food Assistance Programs Access
- COVID-19 Response
- Resources for Pantries & Meal Sites
- Other Local Service Providers & Organizations
- ServSafe Manager Training for SLO County Nonprofits
- Food Program Interest Form for Nonprofits, Schools, and Other Charitable Agencies
Know of a resource that should be included? Please let us know.
SLO Food Bank Program Forms & Information
- 2021 SLO Food Bank Holiday Schedule
- Winter 2021 SLO Food Bank Distribution Calendar & Resource List ( English | Spanish )
- Food Program Interest Form for Nonprofits, Schools, and Other Charitable Agencies
Agency Partners | Primary Contact: Suzie Freeman ∙ firstname.lastname@example.org ∙ (805) 835-9924
- 2021 Application for Partnership
- SLO Food Bank Partner Policy and Procedure Handbook (2021 version coming soon)
- SLO Food Bank Partner Contract
- SLO Food Bank Provisional Partner Contract for COVID-19 Response
- 2021 Quarterly Statistics Report
- Agency Site Visit Self-Assessment
- Instructions to Complete the ServSafe Food Handler’s Card – includes the discount code!
- Legislation Update Feb 2019 – Information on AB 2178 Limited Charitable Feeding Operation
Food Rescue | Primary Contact: Willy Wilson ∙ email@example.com ∙ (805) 235-1180
- Agency-Direct Rescue Participation Form
- Agency-Direct Rescue Guidelines & Agreement
- Agency-Direct Rescue Weekly Report
- Grocery Rescue Food Sorting Guidelines for Agencies
- GleanSLO.org for more information on SLO Food Bank’s gleaned produce program
Neighborhood Food Distributions | Primary Contact: Cliff Mendez ∙ firstname.lastname@example.org ∙ (805) 835-5787
- And Justice for All Poster
- Alternate Pick-Up Form ( English | Spanish )
- TEFAP 2020 Income Guidelines
- TEFAP Certification of Eligibility ( English | Spanish )
- TEFAP USDA Commodity Food Agreement
- TEFAP Written Notice of Beneficiary Rights
No-Cook Bags for the Homeless | Primary Contact: Suzie Freeman ∙ email@example.com ∙ (805) 835-9924
Nutrition Education | Primary Contact: Tara Davis ∙ firstname.lastname@example.org ∙ (805) 975-5688
- SLO Food Bank Nutrition Policy – Coming soon!
- Stay Nourished Nutrition & Culinary Education Series Flyer
For produce highlight sheets and recipe cards, please visit the Nutrition Education page.
Additional Resources for Community Partners
The following resources may be useful to any organization currently or exploring providing hunger-relief or related services to SLO County residents. The majority of the documents, newsletters, and websites are managed and updated by third-party organizations outside of the SLO Food Bank.
|Key:||Client||Documents intended for distribution to clients and program participants|
|Service Provider||Documents intended for service provider use and information|
|Poster||Documents intended for on-site public display|
|Website||Direct link to an organization or community resource|
|Directory||Resource or contact directory|
|Newsletter||Organization and/or community resource newsletter|
- CalFresh Outreach Toolkit [service provider, poster]
- SLO County CalFresh Benefits [website]
- Application for CalFresh Benefits [client]
- Online CalFresh Application [website, client]
- Online CalFresh Application for Students [website, client]
- Pandemic-Related SNAP/CalFresh Waivers and Program Flexibilities
- Market Match (AKA Farmers’ Market EBT)
- Women, Infants & Children (WIC)
- CDC COVID-19 Print Resources [client, service provider, poster]
- CDC COVID-19 Guidance Documents [service provider]
- SLO County Vaccine Advocacy Form [service provider]
- United Way COVID-19 Resources [website, client, service provider]
- ServSafe Food Handler Guide for Food Banking [service provider]
- ServSafe Food Handler California Online Course & Assessment [service provider]
- ServSafe Manager Course with Online Proctored Exam [service provider]
- SLO County EHS Food Facility Health Permitting [service provider]
- USDA Food Health and Safety [service provider]
- USDA Food Safety & Inspection Service Active Recalls [service provider]
- USDA Active Recall Email Notifications [newsletter]
- FoodKeeper Food and Beverage Storage Guide [service provider]
- Temperature Log Template
Nutritional Resources for Pantries and Meal Sites
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2020-2025 [service provider]
- Healthy Eating Research Nutrition Guidelines for the Charitable Food System [service provider]
- The Power of Nudges: Making the Healthy Choice the Easy Choice in Food Pantries [service provider]
- Supporting Wellness at Pantries (SWAP) Nutrition Ranking System [service provider]
Operational Resources for Pantries and Meal Sites
- Charity Food Food Programs that can End Hunger in America [service provider]
- How to Run a Food Pantry by Jeff Thomas [service provider]
- Mission Possible: How You Can Start & Operate a Soup Kitchen [service provider]
- The Perfect Pantry Project – Coming soon!
- Starting a 501(3)(c) Organization: Instructions, Suggestions, & Examples [service provider]
- US IRS Application for Recognition of Exemption [service provider]
- 2-1-1 California — California’s resource and information hub that connects people with community, health, and disaster services.
- California Rural Legal Assistance — Free legal services related to employment, housing, public benefits, and education for low-income California families.
- OnwardCA — An employment and job training resource for Californians impacted by job loss during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Pregnancy & Parenting Support of SLO County — Provides case management, parent education, and community resource connections to SLO County families.
- Promotores Collaborative of San Luis Obispo — The SLO-based promotores group that provides basic healthcare education and advocacy while maintaining cultural and linguistic sensitivity.
- SLO County Food System Coalition — A collaborative network of consumers, industries, nonprofit organizations, and government agencies focused on improving SLO County’s food system efficiency and food access for all residents while lobbying for beneficial local food policy, resources, and programs.
- SLO County Health Access — Local health resources for professionals working with children ages 0-5 and their families.
- SLO County UndocuSupport — A collaboration of local organizations and individuals to provide financial support for local immigrant families.
- SLO County Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster — A collective of nonprofits organizations working alongside government agencies with the goal of streamlining emergency service delivery to those affected by disaster.
- SLO Legal Assistance Foundation — Free legal assistance related to housing and other civil matters for low-income SLO County residents.
- VolunteerSLO — A local volunteer connection platform for the nonprofit agencies, programs, volunteers, and students of SLO County.
ServSafe Manager Training
In response to the passage of AB 2178 and the new food safety requirements placed on nonprofits serving community meals, the SLO Food Bank will be hosting ServSafe Manager courses and proctored exams to its Agency Partners and other nonprofits serving SLO County at a subsidized price. This is the manager-level training required of all made-from-scratch meal service sites in California.
The SLO Food Bank is not currently offered subsidized manager training due to COVID-19. We look forward to the day that we can again host in-person food safety courses for our hunger-relief partners. To continue to meet the California Food Code requirements for your charitable feeding operation, please go to the ServSafe website to complete the ServSafe Manager training online.
For those interested in a hardcopy of the coursebook, the SLO Food Bank has the 7th edition available for purchase at our warehouse for $80. These books include a blank exam sheet, but that exam sheet is currently not useable since all in-person ServSafe Manager exams have stopped.
For more information on the ServSafe Manager training and food safety requirements for agency partners, please contact Partner Services Manager Suzie Freeman.