In Our Warehouse and in the Community, It’s All Hands on Deck
Alleviating hunger in our community requires the hands of SLO County residents whose hearts beat for equity. We believe hunger should not be a price anyone has to pay.
The SLO Food Bank is the primary source of nutritious food for our agency partners and those in need countywide. We rely on volunteers to distribute food to 30,000 people every month.
Find out how to volunteer
Whether it’s handing out food items to individuals at one of our Neighborhood Food Distributions, preparing nutritious samples for our Farmers Markets or sorting and packing produce in our warehouse, we have plenty of options to choose from!
Children’s Farmers Markets
Promote healthy eating through this innovative program which empowers children to choose and “purchase” fresh fruits and vegetables to take home to their families.
- View a video on training to volunteer in our warehouse here.
- View a presentation on volunteering at one of our neighborhood distributions here.
Information About Volunteering In Our Warehouse
- Closed-toe shoes
- Volunteers be at least 16 years or older when forklifts are in operation (this applies to most warehouse volunteer opportunities)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by Warehouse Volunteers to successfully perform the essential functions of most volunteer opportunities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The ability to stand for extended periods of time
- The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer)
- The ability to lift, carry, and load up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to bend, stoop, climb, and crouch repeatedly throughout shift
Groups & Special Projects
To learn more about group or special project opportunities please contact our Volunteer Coordinator directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Work Service
If you have been ordered to complete community work service or have been given the option to perform community work service (CWS) in lieu of paying your fine, you can complete your hours at our warehouse facilities after enrolling through a Community Work Service Agency. Please bring your work service hour time sheet with you when you volunteer.